On Labor Day Weekend 2016, the City of LA will host it's first Fleet Week at the LA Waterfront at the Port of Los Angeles, September 2 to 5, 2016.
What is Fleet Week
Fleet week is a celebration of the sea services. On this week marines and sailors from U.S. Navy ships make a major city a port of call. This has been a naval tradition since 1935.
Fleet Week will feature the United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard.
What To Expect
- There will be Free U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard ship tours (details check here)
- Great photo opportunities #selfie
- Aerial demonstrations throughout the weekend
- Special dockside tours for the elderly and special needs guests
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Expo with hands-on exhibits and displays
- Military, fire, police and other emergency vehicles and equipment
- U.S. Bank Veterans Village with services and resources for active and retired military
- Discounted tours to Battleship IOWA (free admission to veterans and active military) and S.S. Lane Victory (free admission to active military)
- Great local dining + popular food trucks and beverages
- Live entertainment
- Free parking shuttle and Downtown Red Car Trolley service
- Lots of shopping, dining, and fun all around the LA Waterfront and LA Harbor
Port of LA Video: What To Expect
For other details check the LA Fleet Week website, also their facebook page, the Port of LA page, the LA Waterfront page.
And these links:
10 Reasons To Go To LA Fleet Week 2016 (Port of LA)
7 Things You Need To Know About LA Fleet Week (Daily Breeze)
Marines Have Landed: First Ever LA Fleet Week (Official Website of the US Marine Corps)
LA Hosts Inaugural Fleet Week (America's Navy)
Warning: Tens of thousands of people are expected at the different venues and around nearby cities and attractions throughout the fleet week, patience, diligence, precaution, and good common sense are advised.
If all else fails, there is always the port's streaming live video.
Port of LA LIVE STREAM VIDEO